Be the Branch

Category : , , , ,

I’ve mentioned previously that I’ve been going through the Abide in Christ - Growing Disciples Series (Andrew Murray, edited by Bo Stevens). Something occurred to me the other day as I was studying John 15:4. Murray points out that we are reminded to remain connected to the Vine (Christ), for apart from it we cannot bear fruit. It is also necessary that we do not attempt to be the Vine - that is Jesus’ job.

How often do we try to guide and direct the Vine? How often do we think we know what’s best, and therefore try to make it happen? How often do we try to decide when and where we’ll produce fruit? In truth, that is not our place. When we commit our lives to Christ, we are committing to His Lordship of our lives. His will...His way...His time. For me (and many of you, I suspect), that is a much greater challenge than I ever anticipated it to be. What I read the other day, however, has offered me some freedom…

“You are the branch. You don’t need to be more. You don’t need to assume the responsibility of the Vine for even a moment. You don’t need to leave the place of entire dependence and unbounded confidence. You don’t need to be anxious about how you are to understand the mystery, or fulfill its conditions, or work out its blessed aim...You just be the branch.” (emphasis mine)

Just be the branch. Wow! That hit me square between the eyes! Be the branch. It’s so simple, yet seems so hard! I have long been duped into the Nike® version of Christianity - “Just do it!” Get out and find where God is working and join in! For too long I have shouldered the burden of the “where, when, and what” - and it’s got to stop.

A real vine supplies the branches with what it needs at any given time. The nutrients are extracted from the soil, the sap flows, etc. at the appropriate time. It is not the branch’s responsibility to dig into the soil and provide it, or to decide when fruit will be produced. That responsibility remains the function of the vine - all the branch must do is follow the instructions of the vine each day. That’s it...so it is in the Christian life.

Be the branch. I encourage you...no, I challenge you. Let “Be the Branch” be your slogan for the next week. Wake every day, and commit your day to be the branch. Make decisions throughout the day, with this singular thought...be the branch. Release the details to Him, and simply be about doing what He has given you to do each day with passion and zeal for His glory. If you do this for a week, I bet it’ll surprise you how settled your spirit will feel. The Vine is designed to carry those burdens - we are not. No wonder so many of us crack and break underneath the stress! We try to carry weight and responsibility that was never in our design to carry in the first place. It’s an exercise in futility to even try!

Be the branch.

No comments: